...

...

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Brunching Philosophical

I think that brunch is my favorite shift of the week. I get to make lots of really strong breakfast drinks, serve the most delicious looking food on the planet, and talk with a lot of really interesting people- not to mention the whole crazy tips part. Today at brunch I chatted with a fellow runner. She is training for a marathon and takes “classes” with a running store around the corner from Bistro Nora. They aren't really classes, I guess, but it is a big group of people that all gets together and does big runs together and people notice if you aren't there- which she says keeps her motivated. And Bistro Nora's brunch keeps her protein-ated. And full. Also among the brunchers today were a group of seriously hungover adults- and when I say adults, I mean people older than the typical hangover crowd- who ordered bloody marys and the greasiest meals on the menu. They were really funny and really nice, despite the fact that they had obviously had a rough night- and an even rougher morning. And then there was a reservation for lunch for twelve. They were some kind of travel group, and Danny, the owner, had worked out a fixed menu for them. I was a little worried that this was going to be a stressful situation for me. However, this group of twelve had traveled all the way from France, and out of the twelve of them, only one spoke a word of english. He kept count of who wanted what, I used tally marks, and the kitchen brought everything out. (As Danny says) Piece of cake! As far as french goes, I can understand it pretty well, but I am no good at making my own sentences and speaking. However, I could hear everybody talking about how delicious their food was and how sweet their waitress was as well[o:)]. I'm feeling like today was a pretty good day.

In spite of the fast pace and really wonderful customers, today was super long. And I got to thinking about the future, and what sort of job I'd like to have once it's time for babies. I told Ben that I was liking the idea of being a “stay at home mom” more and more. His response? “I think you'd get really bored.”

I thought about it. And I think he's right. Once my kids were in school, I would be desperate for things to do all day. We came up with a list of things I might entertain myself with....

-get REALLY into Soap Operas

-run a SUPER DUPER marathon

-alphabetize Chandler's funny lines throughout the Friends series

-bake every pastry possible for every single neighbor, even the grouches

-plant a humongous garden

-take in zillions of stray animals (which Ben alleges that he will “put his foot down” about, but I don't think he will be able to resist their sweet faces once I get them in the house....)

-knit and/or crochet matching hats, mittens, sweaters, scarves, and socks for my entire extended family and all close friends. And acquaintances.

I'm sure there are more. Anyone have any suggestions?

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment