...

...

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

2 bizarre Christmas songs (that I am weirdly okay with)

On Monday I came across a list of the "10 Most Hated" Christmas songs in one of New York City's many tabloid papers. While I give the team responsible an A for effort, I DO seriously have to question said list, because it did not include Sir Paul McCartney's "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time" OR a techno disco remix of "Last Christmas" that is always so popular at shopping malls this time of year. This list, however, DID get me thinking about Christmas songs- the good, the bad, and the just plain weird.

I won't bore you with my top 10 list of worst Christmas songs. You already know where it is headed. I WILL, however, share with you two of the strangest Christmas songs I've ever heard. Here it goes.

Percy the Puny Poinsettia (recorded By Elmo and Patsy)- Try as I might, I could not find a YoutTube version of this song, so I found the next best things- the lyrics, as well as a very creepy singing poinsettia which sings a little bit of the song. I've just gotta give the rhyme makers here some props- poinsettia is not an easy word to rhyme, and they've got all kinds of ways to bend some words and make it work- wetta, betta, redda--in fact, I kind of wish there was a reference to 'chedda' in there somewhere. They also really manage to pull at your heartstrings for this poor flower- 'even a plant with no uncle or aunt should spend christmas day by himself.' I hope you'll think of Percy the next time you see a tiny little poinsettia this time of year.

Must Be Snooki Claus (recorded by CoolKingChris and the Bob and Sheri Cast)- this song is a parody of a more traditional Christmas earworm, Must Be Santa, which, once you hear, you will not get out of your head for approximately seven years. Must Be Snooki is a fun spinoff of this, and while it will still get stuck in your head, the lyrics are infinitely more entertaining. Do yourself a favor and watch the photo montage as well. The whole thing is pretty funny.

Does anybody else have a bizarre Christmas Song to share? Let me know, I wanna hear 'em!!

Happy Hump Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment