...

...

Saturday, June 8, 2013

My Summer Soundtrack

Certain songs remind me of different seasons. It could be that I associate them with part of the year when I listened to it an awful lot, or maybe because there's something about the way that they sound that gives me a particular vibe. For example, the song 'Name' by the Goo Goo Dolls always makes me feel like riding in the car, staring out the window. And it's always at sunset and it's always autumn. Anyway. After some thought I put together a list of songs that- to me- say summer. [I should add that there were originally 18 songs on this playlist, but it was unreasonably long, so I halved it...]


1) Jackson Browne- 'Somebody's Baby'

Baseball dugouts. Fast times. Enough said.

2) Aerosmith- 'Jaded'

There is just something about this song that makes me feel like running across a beach. Only not un a slow motion romance kind of way, more of a 'get me to that ocean I wanna splash and scream and have a picnic' kind of way.

3) The Script- 'Don't Break Even'

Picture it: a co worker and I at what was easily my least favorite job. It was summer and this song played about every five minutes. But don't worry, it's not an earworm- except that yeah, it totally is.

4) The Fray- 'Over My Head'

This song was on a mix cd that Libby made for Sammy in high school. I have distinct memories of riding with Sam to Giffords and getting Peppermint Stick ice cream cones. Which reminds me- I must add 'trip to Giffords' to my list of things to do in Maine this summer.

5) Shakira and Wyclef Jean- 'Hips Don't Lie'

School of Robinson Ballet. Hottest days of the whole summer. Being so overcome with the music and the movement that the humidity was only an afterthought. Shakira Shakira.

6) The Eagles- 'Desperado'

My father loves the Eagles. He's got a bunch of cassettes in his truck. I love riding around with my father. And in the summer, these rides usually involve a trip to the Dairy Queen. We have the same blizzard order. Like Father, Like Daughter.

7) Avenue Q- 'My Girlfriend Who Lives In Canada'

The first time I played this song for my sister, we were in the car on the way to the mall. We laughed until we cried.

8) Third Eye Blind- 'Semi- Charmed Life'

'I believe in the sand beneath my toes/ The beach gives a feeling, an earthy feeling/ I believe in a faith that grows/ And the four right chords can make me cry/ When I'm with you I feel like I could die and that would be all right.

ALL RIGHT!!'

9) Wheatus- 'Teenage Dirtbag'

Bangor High. Best Friends. Green Saturn. Green Jeep. Best Friends. Soul Mates. OOOoooOOOooo.

No comments:

Post a Comment