...

...

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Delicious Pumpkin Pancakes

Autumn is (finally) here in New York City, and for me, that means that it is time for pumpkin everything. Pumpkin coffee, pumpkin doughnuts, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin bread- at this time of year, I feel that everything that CAN have pumpkin in it, SHOULD have pumpkin in it. Hence these delicious little beauties...



Now, I can't take all the credit here. I adapted this recipe from The Pioneer Woman, but I made a few adjustments, including halving the recipe, as I do not have any children or cowboys to feed. You can check out the original on The Pioneer Woman's blog, HERE.

PUMPKIN PANCAKES:


The Dry:

-1 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
-1/2 Teaspoon Salt
-1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
-2 Tablespoons Sugar
-Pumpkin Pie Spice

The Wet:

-1 Cup Pumpkin Puree
-1 Egg
-1 1/2 cups Milk
-2 Teaspoons Vanilla

The Optional:

-Maple Syrup
-Caramel Sauce
-Whipped Cream (I used Reddi Whip, directly from the can, but Ree Drummond has a delicious-looking recipe for homemade maple-pecan whipped cream)


What To Do:

1.) In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Set Aside.

2.) In another bowl, combine pumpkin puree, egg, milk, and vanilla.

3.) Gradually add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring as you go.

4.) Add a dash of pumpkin pie spice, and stir everything together.

5.) Heat your skillet. I used my cast iron skillet, which is AMAZING for making pancakes. However, I would not recommend exceeding a 'low' heat with cast iron, as it gets super hot super quickly, and we don't wanna burn these little guys. If you're not using cast iron, go ahead and heat your skillet anywhere between 'low' and 'medium low.' Make sure and grease your skillet with butter, oil, or PAM, whichever floats your boat.

6.) Drop the batter onto the heated surface. I followed the Pioneer Woman's lead and made silver dollar pancakes, in which case you need about a tablespoon of batter per pancake, but this batter will certainly make large pancakes too. Once pancakes have begun to bubble, flip to the other side and continue cooking until the pancakes are no longer goopy in the middle.

7.) SERVE 'EM UP! With syrup, caramel sauce, whipped cream, or whatever else sounds delicious.

I SHOULD NOTE that Ben and I were able to use one batch of these pancakes to gorge ourselves silly with pumpkin deliciousness 2 mornings in a row, so I would imagine that one batch of this size will serve 3 to 4 normal humans.

I SHOULD ALSO NOTE that these guys freeze really well- wait until they have cooled and arrange them in a freezer-safe container, placing waxed paper between each layer of pancakes. They taste just as good once they have been reheated!


ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment