...

...

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Bonus Day

Sunday nights usually come with just a little bit of gloom. Monday is coming, and so is the work week and early mornings and waiting, waiting, waiting for Friday afternoon. But tonight is special. It's a long weekend Sunday. Monday is still coming, but the work week has been postponed by one more day. I have a special bonus day to do whatever I want, which, judging by the crazy afternoon I had today, will probably involve binge-watching television and doing chores.

I met up with A for brunch today, which was wonderful. We've been living in the same city for about 6 months now, and it was about time we got together. "Do you want to do this weird thing with me?" I asked as we were finishing our eggs, "If you ride the 6 train all the way to the end, you loop through the abandoned City Hall Station and come out on the uptown side of the tracks" [sidenote: I have been really into this lately- as in, I am so into it that I want to become a member of the MTA museum so that I can have a tour]. He said sure, and we gave it a shot, but I think the combination of being really involved in a conversation and perhaps sitting on the wrong side of the subway car hampered us from seeing much of anything. So that was kind of a bust.

Luckily, A had further plans for the afternoon. A friend of his had a booth at the Vogue Knitting LIVE 2014 expo, which was going on at the Marriott Marquis in (the dreaded) Times Square. So off we went. And it was a blast.



Here's me with my pass. My name, for the afternoon, was Susan Smith.



I didn't realize that knitting and fiber arts sort of have their own subculture-universe. There are well-known knitters, more buttons than I have ever seen, and really imaginative pieces. My favorite was this woman, Kelly Fleek, who herself described her work as art that just happened to be wearable. It was so quirky and fun. And A's friend plays a part in making these bags, which hold all of the knitting supplies you'd need AND zip up in any way imaginable. SO COOL!

But that was not the highlight of our visit to the Marquis. The highlight was meeting THIS GUY. His name is Steven Berg and he is wonderful. "Did you make this scarf?" he asked as he shook my hand. "No," I replied. It actually had come from Forever 21, but I didn't think he needed that detail. "Well, you certainly could have," he said, "But, you know what I always say, everything looks better with a pom pom!" and with that, he adjusted his feathered scarf and was gone. Amazing.

I know that knitting expos certainly don't sound like everybody's cup of tea, but this was a really good time. I felt so inspired to go home and dig a project out from under my desk!

What a wonderful Sunday. I hope you all enjoyed yours as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment