...

...

Saturday, December 21, 2013

the Perfect Present

My father has never been one to give extravagant gifts. To some, this might sound unfortunate, but it actually works out rather well for him, as my mother has never been one to receive them very gracefully. So it was pretty surprising when, last Christmas, after 27 years of marriage, Dad produced an expensive gift which he had picked out himself. It was a ring that he thought was "pretty cool," and visited the jeweler several times to admire before he actually bought it. It went over well.

This year, perhaps bolstered by the success of last year's gift, Dad is at it again. Only this time, he doesn't want to be bothered to go shopping. So he's enlisted the help of my sister, Alex. The following is a text message conversation between us. I'll admit, after the first message from Aal, I was mildly horrified and worried that the gift he was sending her out for was something from Victoria's Secret...ew. Imagine my relief when she revealed what he actually had in mind.


Aal: Dad said sucha bro thing to me the other day. He told me he knows what he wants to get mom, but I have to go to the store and get it. he also said he has no idea how much it costs, maybe $20, maybe $200. I asked why I had to go get it, and he just said "you know I don't go shopping"

Me: oohhhhhhh my god

where do you need to go?

/do YOU know what it is?

Aal: yes it's a foot massager from bed bath and beyond

Hahahaha

Me: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I am dying

Aal: Haha. I know!


For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of meeting my parents, I'll tell you that my mother often asks for foot massages from my father, only to end up frustrated and telling him "THAT HURTS!!" I guess Dad is hoping that a little gadget like this might get him off the hook. I sure hope he's right.

I cannot WAIT to see that foot massager under the tree. You go, Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment